I learned something today, and that is that I'm passionate about business education. I hear teachers saying that they don't enjoy teaching it, that's it's all project-based and all assignment work. They sometimes say that there's not much to "teach". In my experience, I was taught to a lot when it came to CPT and Information Processing.
This really goes to show that some schools have very different approaches. If there was a business education-trained teaching running the business programs and Martin I feel that they would be substantially different. I'm not saying that one way is necessarily better than the other. I'm trying to work may way into an Info Pro class next week so that I can get some practical experience in my major area of study. The class has only six students, and they learn by some means of self-discovery. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but perhaps I'll observe tomorrow to find out. The thing I'm trying to change is the way the kids are learning IP. I hope they like my style of doing it.
I hope to teach them spreadsheets because their teach admittedly knows very little about spreadsheets. The thing about only being in the school for three weeks is that the students going from being taught the standard way versus that way I'm going to teach information processing is going to be entirely different than what they're used to. Hopefully with only six students it won't be too difficult.
Lauren and I are going to be picking up an English class next week, at least for a few days. It should be interesting because neither of us really have the content knowledge needed to be confident in the area.
Marg will be around on Friday to check out our teaching, but I'm not too worried about that. She's a nice lady and the VAP kids are generally pretty cooperative.

I have to get some serious planning done. An hour today and tomorrow with the VAP class, and then it looks like next week I'll be teaching Information Processing, English, and and hour or two of VAP each day with Lauren.
Lauren and I taught an hour in the VAP class today. Yesterday I had the reigns a bit more when we were team teachig and today Lauren was in control. We reinforced and made the stuff we taught yesterday a bit more applicable for them.
The picture in today's post is the shirt I wore today. I wore the shirt today because Lauren brought chocolate chip cookies for the VAP class. Ironically, Ms. Howlett was teaching how to write an essay today- the example essay? How to make chocolate chip cookies. Don't worry Helen, I had a shirt over top of it.
Badminton, which I was told started today at lunch, it now starting tomorrow at lunch. Hooray!
I don't think I've mentioned it before but I'm getting a ton out of me pre conferences, and even more out of my post conferences.
Until next time.
Left at 4:15
No comments:
Post a Comment