Friday, March 13, 2009

march 13

School @ 8:10

My High
My high of the day? Great presentations (for the most part) from my ELA 20 class. Some of them were way above and behind my expectations. There's a girl in my IP20 class that emails me her assignments every day, assignments that no one else in the class is even close to done.

My Low My low of the day was that I didn't get to use the prezi I created on job interviews. I was going to show it for career ed this afternoon in the VAP class but we elected to make collages for an hour and a half, which was actually really fun.

What I learned Today I learned that students can definitely have issues because of their home life. I don't want to get into it too much, but today a student was questioned about stealing whiteboard markers. It was pretty crazy listening to this student get questioned. He's so great when I teach him, always respectful, but he has the urge to steal things, which is partially due to his awful home life.

What I would change I know I don't know the students as well as some of the teachers do, and maybe I'm being silly, but some of these students get a bad reputation and it's really hard to shake. I know it's hard to hear things about a student and not have pre-formed opinions of them, but I'd try my best to reserve my judgement until I've actually had the child in one of my classes.

Left school around 3:30

Then went for a quick drink with some of the staff at the Freehouse, then I was off to a friend's birthday party at Moxie's.

On Monday English presentations will continue and I'll probably be teaching metaphors and similes. Also, some career stuff with the VAP kids, using my prezi and maybe, just maybe, some information processing.

Work tomorrow 10-6. I'm going relax and listen to Graceland for a while. Great album. Everyone should buy it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the prezi! I've been trying to find a good spot to use a prezi in one of my lessons. I'm thinking I might use one next week during Entre or Accounting. Good luck during your last week.

Anonymous said...

I also got approved by the Prezi people and thought of using it this week as a presentation. However, I didn't find the time to make one this weekend and I'm not sure it would work with my remaining lessons.