Wednesday, March 11, 2009

march 11

School @ 8.

My high
- A student opened up to me today. I've heard teachers say that students will tell them anything, and this definitely rang true today. To preface this, I'd never noticed the student before in any of the classes I've been in. I was walking down the hallway, coming back from starting my car. The student asked me how I was. I said, "Good, but pretty tired." I asked him the same question and he replied much the same as I did. And then he started talking more.
  • He was in court today for an assault that happened three months ago.
  • He was on his own property when this assault happened.
  • It was four guys against him.
  • Any witnesses that came forward were against the Martin student.
  • The Martin student has had a past of violence and has had military training, therefore he was able to take down all of the four kids that tried to jump him.
I couldn't believe it. The Martin student got some community service, 100 hours I think, and he has to take anger management classes. I completely believe my student's side of the story and find it incredible that he would open up to me like that when I don't even know his name.

My low?
Lunch. Usually Mr. Brandt, one of the math pre-interns, does a magic trick every lunch time in the staff room today. I either missed the trick or he didn't do one today. :(

What I learned
Teaching where someone else left off can be very challenging. Lauren took over the IP class that I've been teaching for the last two days and it was really difficult. We definitely should have sat down and figured out what each lesson should cover, and it's hard when the students are still working on assignments for me while Lauren is taking over.

What I would change
I just wish that students would show up to class more. My IP class only has six students, but the amount of absences makes a lot more work for me, not only making sure they have assignments and resources, but being able to recreate the instruction is tricky. A lot of the IP stuff can be figured out independently, but it still stresses me out that students care so little about school that they rarely show up.

Left school @ 4:30.

---
The Eagels concert last night was amazing! It's definitely the biggest concert I've been to so far, and I was more than impressed. The production value, how they have it pretty much down to a science. I even enjoyed the new songs, ones that I'd never heard before. The multimedia was a big help with a good chunk of the songs. Perhaps a good project for CPT students?

No comments: