Monday, March 2, 2009

first official day of pre-internship

Got to school around 8.

Today was the first official day of pre-internship.
There were PLC (Professional Learning Community) meetings at 8:30. Basically subject groups get together and talk about things that they weren't able to discuss at a staff meeting. Today was a grade meeting, so all of the grade ten teachers got together and talked about promoting the upcoming career fair thing which is taking place in April.

Period One
The information processing 20 class was set to work making posters. These posters would say "Ways we want to be treated." Students would pick from a word list: respect, dignity, etc. They would then make a collage on the word they chose. At the bottom of the poster they were to write "What stands in the way? Fear"

This was a great example of an IP class coming together in order to decorate the school. The hallways are incredibly bare, so this artwork will be much appreciated.

Period Two
English 20. Lauren and I did the Daily Oral Language component at the start of class, which we also did I Friday of last week. Lauren writes an two incorrect sentences on the board. I then go through the sentences with the students and facilitate them correcting it, correcting and missed ones myself and explaining why it was a mistake.

Period Three
Lauren and I got to sit in on a VAP English class. They didn't get through a lot because of shortened morning classes, but there was a bit of a novel discussion. The class seemed to really understand the book, and were able to relate it to their personal experiences. A few of the students in particular seemed to enjoy talking about relationships, something incredibly relevant for the age group. I took one half of the class to the library to work on PowerPoints for their children's story, while the other half of the class was with Lauren and Ms. Howlett.

Period Four and Five
We helped the VAP kids plant stuff today. They planted tomatoes, marigolds, lettuce, and an assortment of
herbs. I then helped kids with some of their outstanding work. It's really basic stuff like alphabetizing, but sometimes they need a bit of a push to get started.

Lauren and I will be teaching the afternoon VAP class tomorrow. I've worked out a bit of a lesson plan, but I'm going to make it a bit more hands-on and I'm going to make sure I have enough material to span two hours. You can view the lesson in its current form here, assuming my link works.

Today I learned that there are a few helpful students in very class. I plan on taking advantage of this at some point during the next three weeks.

Out of school @ 5.

No comments: