Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Best Buy, Dairy Queen, and other junk.


The Best Buy interview went quite well. I was the first interview of the day. The general manager said that there would be fifteen or so other interviews during the week to fill various positions. There were a few merchandising positions available, a cashier position, and one spot three different departments: one in dvds/video games, one in computers, and one in home theatre.

I told him that I would be most comfortable with the computer department position, though I'm fairly up-to-date with DVD and video game releases. I don't have much time to play video games anymore, but I still know what's going to be a big release. I ranked home theatre as my least experienced category, though I do know some stuff. I threw out random phrases like "contrast ratio", "black levels", and "HDMI" to wow the general manager with my geekiness. I think I'd honestly do a decent job at any of the three department positions.

Questions ranged from "Describe on situation where you've had to deal with an angry customer" to "What should we do about shoplifting?" To which I replied, "internal stealing or external?" He should have really had that question phrased better.

Anyways, there are three possible outcomes, and I should know by next Wednesday.
1) No phone call. They're interested in someone else.
2) Phone call. I've made past the cut and will have another interview, this time with the supervisor of the department that I'm being considered for.
3) I get an offer.

I'm kind of hoping for option number three, just because I don't want to work at Dairy Queen for too long.

Speaking of Dairy Queen, that starts tomorrow @4:30. I still need to get a pair of black pants to wear there. It's going to be weird coming back. I used to find myself a little rusty after a week of not working. After four months it'll take a while to get up to speed again. Wednesday to Friday should be fairly easy as I seem to only be on the till, garbages, and tables. Cleaning tables is easy and I'm pretty sure I've beaten world records for taking down garbage the fastest. My only concern is tills, as there have been a few new additions to the menu since I left and handling customers for the entire shift is something that I haven't done for a long time. Usually I'd be in kitchen or writing on cakes, maybe helping out with ice cream because I was experienced enough to do things in a timely manner.

I'm hoping tomorrow won't be too busy and that I'll be able to pick things up again rather quickly. I'll probably have more experience than the rest of the people on my shift (if you combined all of their experience together), but I'm going to make an effort to not seem like the ignorant a-hole that thinks he knows everything. I hope that the first couple of nights I'll be able to prove what I can do and that I can be a team player, even if it's with a bunch of poorly motivated fifteen year-olds.

I went to "The Love Guru" tonight. It was funnier than I thought it would be. Too many penis jokes for my liking, but all in all it was worth the $5.

Lance, if you're reading this, and you should be ( :p ) , I'm getting the people at DQ to save fry boxes so that you can use them for the whole moving thing.

I'm getting better a Rock Band, and my sister is getting pretty decent too. I'm thinking of stepping it up to medium difficulty soon! *gasp!

That'll be all for now. Initial Dairy Queen impressions will hopefully be posted by Thursday morning, or Wednesday after work should I feel ambitious enough.

Just remembered-- I've emailed Cyril about three times now asking for an email list for the first year business ed kids. On facebook chat he said he had the list, but he has yet to send it to me. Will bug him some more until he caves.

No comments: