Friday, August 7, 2009

Friday morning, 2AM.

Can't sleep. Thinking about all of the possibilities for my Law class. When I first found out that Law would being my main class during internship, I was a bit worried. Many of the business ed people I know are getting info pro and cpt classes (my "bread and butter" courses) @ the 10 level. I get a 30 level Law-- a subject which I am totally unfamiliar with.

My worry quickly turned to optimism. There are so many things I can do with Law-- guest speakers, there's a field trip in the budget, which I've never done as a teacher before. Also, not having any prerequisites and not being a prerequisite for university means that I have the freedom to pretty much teach whatever tickles my fancy as long as I've covered the foundational objectives. I've also thought that being a Social Studies teacher would be tons of fun, and this is probably the closest I'm going to get for the time being.

I'm also always up for a challenge. I'd probably get bored if I was in my comfort zone. That's tough to say for certain, though-- during my three weeks at Martin I was pretty far out of my comfort zone. I loved the experience though, and, despite a few bumps along the road, I ended up learning more about myself as a teacher than I feel I would have at a more comfortable placement.

My last day at Dairy Queen was on Monday. It's going to be a little bit tricky being unemployed for the next four months, but I should be able to scrape by.

The university sent out a catalog today listing their night time and weekend classes. I would have loved to take ADMN 261 during internship, but I don't want to go through the hassle of contacting the First Nations College in order to enroll. My plate will probably be pretty full with internship anyway. It would be really nice to only have to take three courses during the Winter, though. Then I'd be able to work full-time, or very close to it.

On Sunday I ran into a girl I used to work with. I love running into old friends. This particular girl is one of the top three girls I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. She's in middle years education, going into her second year. I'd love to be able to have a class with her during my final semester. My fingers are crossed. :)

I should try to sleep. Argh.

No comments: