1. You don't have to set up an account. Just email post@posterous.com and they set up your blog automatically. Particularly handy for people that are new to blogging.
2. All you have to do is email Posterous what you want on your blog. No aligning fonts, inserting images, trying to inbed audio or video files in vain. It does it all for you. This, of course, gives the user less control as far as how you want your blog to look, but in the end it's the content of your blog that really matters, not how many font colours you can use in a single post.
I don't do a ton of blogging on-the-go, but occasionally I do blog from my phone via email when I can't sleep at night. As far as I know, services like Blogger and WordPress already support that, so Posterous doesn't have an advantage in that respect.
Where it does have an edge, however, is how well it seems to handle a variety of file formats. Did you attach 5 pictures to your
email to Posterous? It will appear in a nice little gallery, where you can click images to enlarge them. Copying the URL (no need to copy the embed code) of a YouTube video or flickr album, for example, will nicely embed the files into your post. I tried uploading a Fleetwood Mac song, "Go Your Own Way," and it worked incredibly well. The only limitation I see so far is file size. Obviously if you're using an iPhone to upload 2 megapixel pictures to your Posterous account you'll be fine, but if you're going to directly attach a video or song to your email to Posterous, most email providers have a cap of 10MB or so per email. You maybe be better off uploading things to flickr or YouTube, for example, and then using the URL to embed them that way. Not that that's much of an issue. Posterous seems like a great tool for converging things that you post on a wide variety of other sites.Here's a great information link to check out. Thanks to Dean Shareski for providing this for me and Bryan Hughs for providing this for me as a resource. (Link)
3 comments:
So did you set up a posterous account?
I did. Like I said in my post, there's nothing really to set up. You just email posterous and it's live on the internet. The give you a randomly assigned subdomain. If you want to, you can "claim" the posterous as your own and customize it a bit more by picking your own subdomain. I'm going to explain that in my next post, complete with a picture walkthrough.
Wow this seems very interesting! So you send the link but not the embedded codes and they put into your blog the actual video? Does it cost anything to have posterous with or without the subdomain? I can't wait to hear more about it!
Post a Comment