Monday, January 18, 2010

Missing Miller


I'm the frog.

I'm missing Miller. It's great to see everyone at university again, and I have a couple of interesting classes, but I still find myself missing the staff and students at Miller. I'm hoping that there will be room for me at grad, because I'd love to be a part of that.

The first book I had to read for my ELIB (adolescent literature) class was "The Beast." It's a very well-written book and I could definitely see students connecting with the themes in it. The book is about a seventeen year-old who goes from Harlem to a boarding school. When he comes back for Christmas four months later, his girlfriend is a heroine addict, and he has to deal with his home being completely different than when he left. I could see myself teaching this book in a grade eleven or twelve class. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to do so some time down the road.

I didn't do very much during the weekend. I bought a new receiver, because my old one died. Setting that up was quite the process, but all is good now. Now that I can watch blurays again, I watched Kill Bill Volume 1 and 2. I had only seen pieces of two before, so it was nice to see all of it for a change.

I donated blood at the University today, watched Chuck, and wrote an English essay. Chuck is getting some surprisingly decent guest-stars for a show that has seen budget cuts since last season. Previous seasons have seen cameos from people like Michael Clark(e?) Duncan and Chevy Chase. So far in the first five episodes of season three there will have been appearances by Bryan Singer ("Superman" from the newest Superman flick, "Superman Returns"-- he'll be in at least two episodes of Chuck), Kristen Kreuk ("Lana" from "Smallville"), and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.

I'm writing this from bed, so I'll upload a picture or two to go with this tomorrow.

I'll also try to write some of my reactions from the Golden Globe awards tomorrow when I'm done class @ 5:30.

I really want to start vlogging more. There two main obstacles, though:
1- I hate hearing my voice, and I'm rather convinced that you would feel the same way.

2- I'm super lazy and have been doing more than half of my blogging from bed lately. Mind you, I can point my iMac more toward bed (it's literally 1.5 meters from my bed, directly facing it).

... Decided to add a third obstacle

3- I'm generally not pleasant to look at. I have to take off my glasses to avoid glare and my brain turns to mush when my vision is slightly blurry.

Maybe tomorrow will be a Vlog. Maybe.

Cheers.

No comments: