Saturday, April 25, 2009

R.Dot, worky worky



Yesterday I helped my friend Shaun out at R Dot. It's an event where computers gamers come together and have tournaments. I'm not much of a gamer anymore, but I like going to check out the crazy computers people have built.



This is the third R Dot I've helped out with, and the second time I've helped by working the concession with Shaun's girlfriend. All of the stuff a nerd can want was available-- various kinds of energy drinks and a lot of junk food. The energy drinks are needed as the event is from 6pm until 6pm. Twenty four hours is a pretty long time.



I love working the concession. Not only does it give me time to chat with Shaun's girlfriend, who I rarely hang out with anymore, but the people that come to R Dot are so nerdy that they make me look completely normal in comparison. Despite would one might think, most of the folks that came were quite social.



My crowning achievement of the night (I just worked 6-1ish) was my chocolate bar selling. I got sick of sitting at the concession because sales were slow so I walked around with a couple boxes of chocolate bar and used my awesome sales skills, which included anything from convincing people that chocolate would improve their gaming skills to complimenting their insane computer builds. I sold sixteen chocolate bars. To put that into perspective, we had sold three in the four hours prior.



R Dot was a little bit smaller this time with about 80 participants, but I enjoy helping friends and this is a fun way to interact with people that I would otherwise never have the pleasure of meeting.



I worked at DQ 10-5:45 today. Too busy to take a break. Tomorrow's night shift should be pretty boring. If you read this, come visit. I'm anticipating... Zero visitors. :p





Yes, this is a computer. There were two aquarium PCs at R Dot this year. The components are entirely submerged in fluid. If only there were fish...

No comments: